Saturday, August 18, 2007

Read Me

Seventeen years ago, on my birthday, I was presented with a gift which I, along with all my guests, shall never forget. It was nothing extraordinary, but the way in which it was presented to me changed my life and beliefs forever, while profoundly affecting the lives of most of my friends and family, some of whom were upstanding members of the community and members of congress. Though I was young, I was wise beyond my years, and the glowing gift before me presented its message more clearly than could have ever been expressed by conscious human thought. The house in which I lived had a large back yard, with deep dark green grass that should have been cut before this gathering, and strangely leafed trees, painted white for protection from the dangerous rays of the hot California sun. From that day on, until a time I cannot predict, I shall remember that grotto as it was that day, though over these long and dusty years it has dwindled, unkempt, into nothing more than a small, inescapable jungle. My parents sat near to me as the events of the day transpired, and their love enveloped me as though I had fallen, from ever so high, into a pool of chocolatey euphoria which will go on forever, in life and death, beyond the end of time. Forgive me, O kin, for this, the untold story of my youth, and live near my soul beyond the furthest reaches of space, where no light shall shine but the light of our mind, and where no word shall be uttered.

No comments: